Monday, October 30, 2006

Section Line


oil on canvas 12 x 16

Just happened to get another painting done last week. This is what a lot of Iowa farm land looks like. Of course, it used to be part of what was considered the tall-grass prairie, which was made up of coarse grasses and abundant wild flowers. Obviously, most of it has been tilled up and turned over for row-crop production. I still have about 50 some acres of never-been-tilled land which I walk around on just about every weekend.

A man can get a little thinking done out here. Lately there has been something that has caused a considerable stir in my constitutional make-up, a challenge to my moral compass. As a Taoist at heart, walking down a road like this, or through the prairie, is where I can access that passive, non-striving and intuitive part of my self. But one can do this anywhere. The Tao-te ching states that: "where there is emptiness, it is there that you will be filled up." and "in the state of nothingness, you will find everything."

This is often what I am striving for. To get away from the noise of man, find that quiet place where one can access the space that overflows with a unity at the cosmic level. Go there and listen to the emptiness and, It is here you may find everything you are looking for. Most don't ask questions, nor seek answers because, apparently, most feel they have them all. It is when I feel like a vessel, that I feel my best and most child-like in this life.

11 Comments:

Blogger Pammie said...

Hi Argos,

We are lucky you have posted so soon. Another beautiful painting that shows the peace you describe. It must be nice to have a property to wander around on and get to know, and listen to the quiet. I wonder how many people have walked in the same place as you, and who they were. Also maybe a dinosaur or two.

Some of your previous paintings show hills in the distance, which I was surprised to see. I was of the impression that Iowa was one of the flat places, and this painting shows that.

Good luck with your moral compass, and hope you can get it back on track.

11:31 PM  
Blogger Daniela said...

Hey Argos!

Very nice to see another great painting!!!

I also have a Taoist tendency inside me. Not as a religion, because i dont believe in religion, but as a way of seeing life.

There are some very nice movies related to it, and last week i watched for the second time the movie called SAMSARA .... do u know it? I was going to post a comment about it in my blog, but i changed my mind... I was not sure about what to write....

Nice that you live in such a place :)

8:06 AM  
Blogger Checha said...

En tus pinturas paseo, como si estuviera de vacaciones...
Besotes!

8:59 AM  
Blogger argos said...

Hi pammie-

yes its true that Iowa is mostly flat. I have lived and painted alot out west too. The mountains you see in my paintings are in and around southern Colorado and Northern New Mexico. I like painting them as you get that great purple far in the distance.
Cheers!

Hi Daniela-

No, I have not heard of the movie SAMSARA but I am going to see if I can get my hands on a copy and watch it.

It sounds interesting and, if you liked it, I will probably like it too. After doing so, I will write to you and we can talk about it.

Hope all is well with you!

10:09 AM  
Blogger argos said...

Saludos Checha-

Me alegro usted siente este camino. ¡Este me hace feliz! La pintura parece realmente invitar al espectador a andar abajo este camino rural.

Esperanza todo está bien con usted.
¡bendiciónes!
argos

10:14 AM  
Blogger argos said...

Hi to all my blog friends-

I will be out of town and away from computers for the next several days and will catch up with you and post any comments when I return.

Have a great week!

10:17 AM  
Blogger Mauricio said...

Hello Argos

Have a nice weekend!

Take care

4:47 PM  
Blogger atenea crisoelefantina said...

dear argos,
i miss the human figure in your pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!
how are you??????? i hope you will be fine"!!!
kisses"!!!

2:59 AM  
Anonymous Brooke said...

Good morning-
Beautiful work, as usual. You are so lucky to have your own land to roam around and discover different scapes that you haven't seen... i'm envious! Take care and I look forward to your next posting!

"Be still like a mountain and flow like a great river." Lao Tse

11:28 AM  
Blogger Daniela said...

Hey Argos!
How have you been?
Long time no see you...

6:09 AM  
Blogger Pammie said...

Hello Argos, if my predictions are correct we should expect another posting in a day or so. Hope you had a great Thanksgiving weekend with lots of family and friends, and that you are doing well and feeling happy! I have had my first Thanksgiving in 18 years and it was fantastic (also the Southern BBQ place we visited in San Diego on Saturday!).

12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home